Tuesday, September 28, 2004

17th September - Back to the hotel

The final day. I awoke to find Clemence had already made breakfast and it looked like the porters were getting ready to leave. I rushed around getting my stuff packed and after a quick trip to the Dubious Dunny we were off.

Thankfully, my knees were in much better shape today and I was able to keep up with a large group of experts without a great deal of trouble. I met a couple of interesting people the way and passed the journey chatting and admiring the rainforest. As always the weather was being very generous and the forest was at it’s best. Given the slipperiness of the rocks and trail in general I’m just glad the rain stayed away.

Once we reached the end of the trail we had to queue for our certificates (different depending on how far up you’d made it). Then it was a short walk past the Kili coffee plantation and into the little village full of souvenir shops and desperate hawkers. Jesus, it was total bedlam and sensory overload. I’m glad that I had the guides to look after me. I bought some little souvenirs for people and then climbed into the waiting Jeep (with lovely cushioned seats) and we headed our of there. To be honest I was glad to leave and all I wanted was a few beers and a long hot shower.

Once we made it back to the hotel I sorted out the trips for the guys and decided to be generous. $500 for 2 guides and 4 porters. Some may say it was too much, but I was very well looked after during my stay and I look at it as doing my bit for the local economy. And the Freddy and I sauntered downstairs and I bought a couple of rounds for the boys. One of them, a chap called Solomon, was the person responsible for lugging my kit bag up the hill and down again. Now that kit bag had belonged to my late father, Reg, and I had chosen to bring it along in memory of him. When he was told, Solomon appreciated the significance.

During our beery session, Clemence told me something rather profound. He said, “Gary – you are very strong, and you are very peaceful.”. I was very touched by that. It is one thing to set out upon a spiritual journey, it is quite another to have that undertaking recognised by another.

The beer was running low, and I desperately needed to shower, so I bid the boys farewell and headed upstairs to my room.

Bliss – absolute bliss. The shower from Heaven cleansed me to my soul. Then I tidied up, shaved and went back downstairs for another beer. Amazingly, Clemence and Freddy were still there playing pool. Quickly, I joined in and it became apparent that Freddy and I were both good players trying to let the other win. This went on for a while (to both our amusement) and then I played Clemence who was pretty good. The afternoon passed warmly and then it was time for Clemence and Freddy to go. We hugged, shook hands and departed. I have Clemence’s email address, so I hope to remain in touch.

Later that evening after some quiet time reading I joined a bunch of South Africans who had just completed the summit run as well (along the Marangu route). We went out to the local Moshi nightclub and a good time was had by all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home